Re: no networking in riscv-qemu... use pppd?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
<manuel.montezelo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 19 Apr 2017, at 4:34 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net>
>> wrote:

>>> ah good, so a debian port can proceed (and be published) without
>>> having to be completely redone?
>>
>> I believe so. The base ISA is frozen. RV32IMAFDC and RV64IMAFDC have not
>> changed in the last year. The userspace ABI is stable.
>
> The userspace ABI is stable, but the toolchain is in flux, for example
> the recent changes in floating point size will probably cause some
> problems, and I see inconsistencies between gcc and binutils every
> time that I attempt new versions.

 ohh yeah that sounds familiar, from reading the archive earlier today.

> I think that I should publish my work so far, maybe it's useful to
> you.

 yes please.

*sigh* the last time i watched someone do a port i urged them to do it
as an automatically-reproducible published build script or process of
some description.  that was... i think it was the armhf guy.  it was a
long time ago.  the suggestion was... not well received as it was not
believed that the work was worthwhile reproducing (or having someone
else even be involved)

 since then we've had *at least* three totally separate and new debian
ports, so the value of making the porting process automat-able and
reproducible is, i feel, now being understood (great to see
rebootstrap exists).

 even for what you're attempting, manuel, with riscv potentially
changing (not immediately but potentially) and people creating
hardware that could be slightly subtly different, and maybe someone
wanting to do a 32-bit port, *and* binutils being in flux...

 ... just for you *alone* - with binutils in flux an automated process
where you can just leave it to run for a few days, unattended...

> I meant to be do it months ago, but $REAL_LIFE happened in
> betweeen... :)

 :)

 yes please.  i can make an anonftp account available on my server,
and then rsync it onto phil hands's server if that would help.

l.