Re: no networking in riscv-qemu... use pppd?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Michael Clark <michaeljclark@mac.com> wrote:

> The user-mode ABI is pretty much frozen so any user space packages built for
> RV32IMAFDC or RV64IMAFDC should be to a stable ABI.

 ah good, so a debian port can proceed (and be published) without
having to be completely redone?

> The privileged spec is in flux, however this only affects kernel mode code.
>
> RISCVEMU has Virtio Block, Net and Console. It’s an interpreter so not as
> fast as QEMU.

 doesn't matter at all.  "working slowly" easily trumps "not working
very very quickly" :)

> - http://bellard.org/riscvemu/
>
> In any case it includes a kernel config in the patches directory that can be
> used to build a RISC-V VirtIO kernel:

 excellent - i have the bbl.bin and root.bin examples on the page
confirmed as working.  i note, interestingly, that the root.bin (from
yocto) includes a native compiler.

 i'll try compiling the kernel from that... no instructions found
anywhere to build "bbl.bin" so far... and i'm getting the usual "This
is bbl's dummy_payload.  To boot a real kernel, reconfigure bbl with
the flag --with-payload=PATH, then rebuild bbl." and after doing so
get, "This is bbl's dummy_payload.  To boot a real kernel, reconfigure
bbl with the flag --with-payload=PATH, then rebuild bbl."

 hints welcomed

> There is also a fedora image linked from the page which includes a
> self-hosted compiler.

 my primary interest is in seeing the debian port up and running.