Welcome to the list!

Hi,

As some of you already discovered, this list was created a few days
ago to discuss about RISC-V in Debian.

I've been short of time and unusually busy lately, specially to post
news publicly, but in the last few months (years, really) I've been
working in the background to create a Debian port for RISC-V, in
principle focused on 64-bit little endian with the standard set of
extensions (G), possibly C or others if they become popular.

This is what devices like lowRISC are targetting, although with their
own additions (minion cores and all that).

One of the major problems compared to other ports is that key
components of the toolchain are not present in the upstream repos, so
things are more challenging.  Happily, this started to change in the
last few weeks.

But specially, as something still under heavy development, there is
the possibility of incompatible ABI changes that could render most of
the work so far useless.  In fact, I heard of some worrying news in
that front, but don't know more details yet.

I will hope to have more time as the end of the year comes closer and
review the situation.  At the moment I have ~600 source packages built
(~2000 binary packages, I think) and mostly working so I've been
building many of these packages natively, although with the caveats
that changes in glibc and other basic libraries might render this
useless.

Some key packages typically installed by debootstrap are still missing
due to circular dependencies, or still cross-compiled but not compiled
natively/cleanly.

Cheers.
--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com>