Re: Welcome to the list!

Hello Manuel and others,

Op 08-11-16 om 09:41 schreef Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo:
> Hi,
>
> As some of you already discovered, this list was created a few days
> ago to discuss about RISC-V in Debian.
>
> I've been short of time and unusually busy lately, specially to post
> news publicly, but in the last few months (years, really) I've been
> working in the background to create a Debian port for RISC-V, in
> principle focused on 64-bit little endian with the standard set of
> extensions (G), possibly C or others if they become popular.
>
> This is what devices like lowRISC are targetting, although with their
> own additions (minion cores and all that).
>
> One of the major problems compared to other ports is that key
> components of the toolchain are not present in the upstream repos, so
> things are more challenging.  Happily, this started to change in the
> last few weeks.
>
> But specially, as something still under heavy development, there is
> the possibility of incompatible ABI changes that could render most of
> the work so far useless.  In fact, I heard of some worrying news in
> that front, but don't know more details yet.
>
> I will hope to have more time as the end of the year comes closer and
> review the situation.  At the moment I have ~600 source packages built
> (~2000 binary packages, I think) and mostly working so I've been
> building many of these packages natively, although with the caveats
> that changes in glibc and other basic libraries might render this
> useless.

Maybe they need to be build again, but I don't think the work will be
useless.

> Some key packages typically installed by debootstrap are still missing
> due to circular dependencies, or still cross-compiled but not compiled
> natively/cleanly.

Maybe you can tell a bit about the major problems in the toolchain, and
if somebody is allready working on it.

And about your setup. I've heard in a private mail you are using
risc-qemu for building. Other people could do the same. Maybe we could
publish a working qemu disk image and setup?

And maybe somebody can tell about a setup with FPGAs.
What hardware are you using?  Will cheap hardware be useable?

Does somebody know more about the coming lowrisc hardware?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

https://www.vandervlis.nl/