Re: docbook for papers/theses

<quote who="martin f krafft" date="Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 03:08:25PM +0000">
> also sprach Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> [2007.02.01.1453 +0000]:
> > On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:47:24PM +0000, martin f krafft wrote:
> > > If you're going to be passing it to LaTeX anyway, why use Docbook?
> > > Why do people even bother? What are the alleged advantages?
> >
> > As I wrote, because the final output quality of "direct" transformations
> > from Docbook to PDF (which means Docbook -> XSL-FO -> PDF) is not as
> > good as Docbook -> LaTeX -> PDF final result.
>
> My question was more why bother with Docbook as opposed to just
> using LaTeX as the source?

The reason you pass to LaTeX is that you can get the really nice
hyphenation support, font/text rendering, etc. when you are outputting
to PDF.

The reason you would do it in DocBook instead of LaTeX is because you
want better transformations into HTML/text/RTF, because you want to pull
text from sources in DB or want to move things into DB later (e.g., into
technical documentation in Debian), because you just don't like LaTeX or
find it ugly, or any number of other reasons.

If you only want to output to printed pages/PDF and you are just as
comfortable writing in DB as LaTeX, there's really no reason.

You were the one who asked the questions, so I figured you must have you
own reasons already. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako@atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS