[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: intention for tiff packages

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 14:00:33 -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:00:53 -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> >
> >> Upstream has committed symbol versioning for both the 3.9.x branch and
> >> the trunk (4.0.0) and is prepared to release 3.9.6 and 4.0.1 with symbol
> >> versioning once we sign off that it's what we're looking for.  What's
> >> the best way to do this?  I would hate to make the assessment on my own
> >> and then find out it's still not right.  Maybe I can prepare versions
> >> for experimental built with symbol versioning and someone can look it
> >> over?  I'll still do my test of an application depending on a library
> >> with tiff 3 and another library with tiff 4.
> >>
> > An upload to experimental with the option enabled seems reasonable.  On
> > the packaging side the addition of versioned symbols means bumping
> > libtiff4's shlibs to avoid warnings from ld.so.  I quickly looked over
> > the upstream changes adding the version script, which look fine to me.
> Okay, thanks.  One more question: tiff 4.0.0~beta7 is already in
> experimental, so I can't upload a new tiff 3.9 version to experimental
> without an epoch or some funky version numbering.  While the next upload
> of tiff to unstable will be a symbol-versioned 3.9.x, should I go ahead
> and upload the trial version to experimental with the tiff3 source?
> That way, experimental would have the pair of source packages, both with
> versioned symbols, that we ultimately want in unstable.  This is what I
> think I need to do:
> 1.  Upload tiff-4.0.0-1 with versioned symbols to experimental
> 2.  Upload tiff3-3.9.5-3 to experimental with versioned symbols
> 3.  Wait for confirmation that this is good
> 4.  Give upstream the go-ahead to release 3.9.6 and 4.0.1
> 5.  Wait for release team to be ready to do the transition

There should be no need to wait here, 3.9.6 should just be a shlibs bump
and existing binaries linked against the non-versioned lib should keep
working against 3.9.6.

> 6.  Upload tiff-3.9.6-1 with versioned symbols to unstable
> 7.  Wait for transition (all bin-NMUs finish, tiff-3.9.6-1 migrates to
>     testing)
> 8.  Upload tiff3-3.9.6-2 to unstable and simultaneously upload
>     tiff-4.0.1-1 to unstable
In theory this should wait for a release cycle to avoid issues on
partial upgrades, but maybe we don't need to.  We'll see.

> If this is right, I'll go ahead and do steps 1 and 2.  Then I'll wait
> for an okay before proceeding.  Of course, let me know if I should do
> this differently.  My goal is to help make this as smooth as possible.


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: