[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: intention for tiff packages

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:00:53 -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
>> Upstream has committed symbol versioning for both the 3.9.x branch and
>> the trunk (4.0.0) and is prepared to release 3.9.6 and 4.0.1 with symbol
>> versioning once we sign off that it's what we're looking for.  What's
>> the best way to do this?  I would hate to make the assessment on my own
>> and then find out it's still not right.  Maybe I can prepare versions
>> for experimental built with symbol versioning and someone can look it
>> over?  I'll still do my test of an application depending on a library
>> with tiff 3 and another library with tiff 4.
> An upload to experimental with the option enabled seems reasonable.  On
> the packaging side the addition of versioned symbols means bumping
> libtiff4's shlibs to avoid warnings from ld.so.  I quickly looked over
> the upstream changes adding the version script, which look fine to me.

Okay, thanks.  One more question: tiff 4.0.0~beta7 is already in
experimental, so I can't upload a new tiff 3.9 version to experimental
without an epoch or some funky version numbering.  While the next upload
of tiff to unstable will be a symbol-versioned 3.9.x, should I go ahead
and upload the trial version to experimental with the tiff3 source?
That way, experimental would have the pair of source packages, both with
versioned symbols, that we ultimately want in unstable.  This is what I
think I need to do:

1.  Upload tiff-4.0.0-1 with versioned symbols to experimental
2.  Upload tiff3-3.9.5-3 to experimental with versioned symbols
3.  Wait for confirmation that this is good
4.  Give upstream the go-ahead to release 3.9.6 and 4.0.1
5.  Wait for release team to be ready to do the transition
6.  Upload tiff-3.9.6-1 with versioned symbols to unstable
7.  Wait for transition (all bin-NMUs finish, tiff-3.9.6-1 migrates to
8.  Upload tiff3-3.9.6-2 to unstable and simultaneously upload
    tiff-4.0.1-1 to unstable

If this is right, I'll go ahead and do steps 1 and 2.  Then I'll wait
for an okay before proceeding.  Of course, let me know if I should do
this differently.  My goal is to help make this as smooth as possible.

(Thanks for continuing to include me explicitly me on all response since
I'm not subscribed to debian-release.)

Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>

Reply to: