Re: intention for tiff packages

Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org> wrote:

> Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:

>>> I have the skills to do this and understand the concept, but I don't
>>> have the specific knowledge of exactly how to do it.  I can figure it
>>> out by looking at png or jpeg, reading documentation, searching the web,
>>> etc., but if you have any specific pointers, email threads, or other
>>> references that might save me some time, I would be most grateful.
>>>
>> I'll try and have a look asap.  Might not be until next week though.
>
> Much to my surprise, upstream looks like they are going to take it.  I
> started a thread on the tiff list today, and one of the primary
> maintainers already introduced a change in their CVS to make this
> possible.
>
> I think the process will be
>
>  1.  Introduce a symbol-versioned version of tiff 3.x
>  2.  Binary NMU everything so that all existing libraries and programs
>      link with the symbol-versioned tiff 3.x
>  3.  Introduce a symbol-versioned tiff 4.x using something akin to my
>      original plan of having a tiff3 source package with 3.9.x libraries
>      only and upgrading the tiff package to use 4.x
>
> Is this right?  Many packages will be able to link with tiff 4.x without
> any changes.  Anyway, we can discuss the exact mechanics of the
> migration after step 2 is done assuming this is more or less right since
> I imagine that will still take some time.

Upstream has committed symbol versioning for both the 3.9.x branch and
the trunk (4.0.0) and is prepared to release 3.9.6 and 4.0.1 with symbol
versioning once we sign off that it's what we're looking for.  What's
the best way to do this?  I would hate to make the assessment on my own
and then find out it's still not right.  Maybe I can prepare versions
for experimental built with symbol versioning and someone can look it
over?  I'll still do my test of an application depending on a library
with tiff 3 and another library with tiff 4.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>