Re: intention for tiff packages

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 19:10:00 -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
>
>> Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> > As I said previously, if versioned symbols don't happen (in both the old
>> > and new versions), then the transition is unlikely to happen too.  It
>> > was done for png and jpeg, so it's not like it'd be a first.
>>
>> I have the skills to do this and understand the concept, but I don't
>> have the specific knowledge of exactly how to do it.  I can figure it
>> out by looking at png or jpeg, reading documentation, searching the web,
>> etc., but if you have any specific pointers, email threads, or other
>> references that might save me some time, I would be most grateful.
>>
> I'll try and have a look asap.  Might not be until next week though.

Much to my surprise, upstream looks like they are going to take it.  I
started a thread on the tiff list today, and one of the primary
maintainers already introduced a change in their CVS to make this
possible.

I think the process will be

 1.  Introduce a symbol-versioned version of tiff 3.x
 2.  Binary NMU everything so that all existing libraries and programs
     link with the symbol-versioned tiff 3.x
 3.  Introduce a symbol-versioned tiff 4.x using something akin to my
     original plan of having a tiff3 source package with 3.9.x libraries
     only and upgrading the tiff package to use 4.x

Is this right?  Many packages will be able to link with tiff 4.x without
any changes.  Anyway, we can discuss the exact mechanics of the
migration after step 2 is done assuming this is more or less right since
I imagine that will still take some time.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>