Re: Bug #602865: please unblock php-net-smtp 1.4.2-2

On 11/21/2010 02:26 AM, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 17:48 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 12:18 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> The Conflicts: statement will make
>>> sure that php-pear >= 5.3 is installed before php-net-smtp 1.4.2, which
>>> is the current issue, while just adding a Depends: will not (there's
>>> nowhere a document in Debian that tells there is an order in the way
>>> things are installed if you use a Depends, is it?).
>>
>> That depends on your definition of "installed".  Policy states that a
>> package's dependencies will all have been configured before the package
>> itself is configured, but the problem in this case is at unpack time.
>
> As pointed out to me elsewhere, I was being stupid here - policy *does*
> provide a mechanism for packages to ensure that other packages are
> unpacked before they are: pre-dependencies.  Either php-net-smtp needs a
> pre-dependency on php-pear (>= 5.3.1-4 to ensure that the symlink isn't
> broken) after discussion on debian-devel, or it needs to ensure
> that /usr/share/php/doc exists in its preinst and create it, pointing at
> the expected location, if not.
>
> I haven't checked each package individually, but a look at squeeze's
> Contents suggests that php-http-request, php-soap and XML_Parser have
> the same issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

Adam,

I am ok to do anything that is required, but I'd need to know what you
want me to do. Should I reupload php-net-smtp with a Conflicts: which
was my intention in the first place (the Breaks: was a mistake), or
should I simply reupload with only a Depends: php-pear (>= 5.3) ?

I can prepare fixes for php-http-rquest and php-xml-parser too, if
nobody else is willing to work on them. I have few servers running them,
and I wouldn't like experiencing upgrade issues. Did you check all php
PEAR packages in Debian? Is there any chance that there's more packages
with the issue?

As for php-soap, this is in the core of PHP5, right? So I guess that
Ondřej Surý would take care of that? Ondřej, can you confirm that you
will? Do you need me to write a patch and push it to our Git (it's a
trivial dependency tweak that we need here...)?

Thomas