Re: Invite to join the Release Team

Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
>>> I do not want *this* assistance, thanks. I think we played this charade
>>> long enough. By now, everyone should know that you don't like the way
>>> the release team has done its work, you have saved face and no one will
>>> say that you only criticize the RT without spending any time. On the
>>> other hand, this games wastes both your and our time, so I don't see the
>>> point in continuing.
>> I'm sorry you feel that way, but thank you for your honesty.  I will
>> concentrate my efforts elsewhere.
> Well, whatever the background is and the way it came out,

Context is <[🔎] 87r5nkt0bu.fsf@solon.marcbrockschmidt.de> and the following
mails; the mails before are, eh, not helpful.

> I have to say that I found Clint's summary very interesting and
> useful. Is it the right way to go to finally not use it?

I did not say that we would not use it as a basis, but it's clearly not
helpful if Clint writes a text we consider unfit for publication. This
is the expected outcome, as Clint has a fundamentally different view of
the release process. He can obviously not function as someone writing
release updates for us as long as he considers most of what we do "iffy
ethically".

For me, personally, the situation is quite uncomfortable. While I can
understand that Clint is not happy with the current state of the Debian
release process (a feeling I share), I cannot say that I believe that
this is my fault - I simply wasn't around for much of the past year.

On the other hand, Clint does not offer to help us with most of the
work - he expresses that he considers most of what we do unneeded, a
restriction of the freedom of DDs and whatnot (consider, for example,
his questions on -vote and comments on various IRC channels). The "help"
he provided was drafting a release update containing a fleshed out
variant of various notes on -release@ldo and #-release, starting with a
clear "feel free to not care" notice. While I am sure he invested some
time in this, he made sure to express his disinterest in the release
process.

The criticism, on the other hand, is quite horrible. Most of what he
says is worded in socially acceptable terms, nonetheless leaving
everyone involved in the release team with the feeling that we are a
quite horrible bunch of dictators ordering the rest of the project
around, for no gain at all. I can understand his unhappiness with the
current state, but I don't consider his communication style to be
helpful.

I respect Clint and his work, and while not understanding his agenda, I
believe that in his Debian work, he always tries to improve
Debian. Based on his statements from the past weeks, I suspect that he
does not think the same of me. This is a problem for me, because I
prefer to believe that I can help Debian in some way. I'm managing not
to write mails like the one that started this thread, but I can
understand how Luk reached this point.

This is, obviously, a quite personal assessment of the situation. I
don't think it should be a start of a public discussion. If you want to
answer, consider sending a private mail.

Marc