Re: Invite to join the Release Team

Heya,

I don't know if you are subscribed to -release@ - I guess so, but CCed
anyway.

Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:37:25PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
>> OK, I'm not sure how much of that is an actual offer, but I would be
>> happy to accept any help you can give. Do you have any ideas how you
>> could help the release team, or, in a more general way, the release?
> How would you like me to help?

I would be happy if you could point out any specific insanity in the
notes of the IRC meeting from yesterday. If it seems fine, it would be
great if you could work on drafting a release update informing the
project about the current status of squeeze and the plans for the
immediate future. FWIW, I have at the moment no idea what the status of
our release goals is, that's a subject someone needs to research.

Some of the transitions waiting to happen could profit from someone
checking if everything alright. This means finding out which packages
are affected, which of these need sourceful uploads and coordination
with the maintainers of these packages. You know the business. If it
should go to testing, care needs to be taken to not entangle it with any
of the other ongoing transitions. When all of that is checked and
prepared, the transitioning package can be uploaded and binNMUs be
scheduled. If you want to do this yourself, it shouldn't be a problem to
give you direct access to w-b.

We also need to get the number of rc bugs down if we want to release
squeeze this year. To this end, it would be great if one or more
(virtual) BSPs could be organized, possibly focussed at a specific type
of bug.
Besides the number of RC bugs, we also have some widely used packages
where maintainers are overwhelmed by the number of bugs filed against
their packages (KDE, Gnome, iceweasel, ...) While not strictly a release
issue, triaging (and possibly fixing) bugs can be integrated into a BSP
to give people something easier (but nonetheless tedious :-/) to do.

There is also the issue of the release notes. This was a problem for
lenny, and it doesn't look like it will get any better for
squeeze. The release notes need to be updated for squeeze and upgrade
and installation tests on different configurations should be
organized. It's a bit early to do it, as many components of squeeze are
not done yet, but at least finding people who would be interested in
working on this would be great.

I guess that's all I have on my current release todo list. Does anything
of that sound like you could live with yourself if you would do it?

Marc
--
BOFH #434:
Please state the nature of the technical emergency