Re: Bits from the release team: Release goals, schedule, state of the union

Hi,

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> >  - New source package format:
> >     Make it possible to build all packages using dpkg source format
> >     3.0 (quilt).
> This seems like something that requires packagers to take some action, or at
> least check their packages for this possibility? However, I've never heard
> about this new "source format" until now. Did I miss something, or will there
> be separate announcements about this still?

You missed several announces on debian-devel-announce (you are supposed to
be subscribed and reading) and a status update on -devel recently.

Start with http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0 to get more
information.

> A quick read of the dpkg-source manpage about the source format 3 didn't
> really help my understanding of what would be required to attain this goal.
> Could you elaborate a bit? Perhaps in the next update?

Basically fix all those bugs:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=hertzog@debian.org;tag=3.0-quilt-by-default

(And continue to maintain other packages sanely to not expand that list)

Raphaël Hertzog