Re: What about default-syslog [Re: new release goal default-mta?]

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 10:36:51AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> martin f krafft wrote:
> > [moving debian-release@l.d.o to Bcc, continuing discussion in bug log]
> >
> > also sprach Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> [2009.05.04.1856 +0200]:
> >> FWIW as previously discussed on debian-devel starting with the
> >> lastest upload (4.69-10) exim4-daemon-light provides default-mta.
> >
> > Excellent. If there are no objections, I'll formulate a squeeze
> > release goal and file the bugs.
> >

> As maintainer of rsyslog I followed this discussion with great interest.
> Atm there are around 30 packages which depend/recommend
> rsyslog | system-log-daemon
> (or still use sysklogd | system-log-daemon, for which I have filed bugs in the
> past to change that to rsyslog | system-log-daemon).
>
> My generell feeling I got from the discussion, is that the (virtual) default-mta
>  package is considered a good idea, so should we use the some approach for
> system-log-daemons and introduce a default-syslog package?

I think it is a problem extending to all virtual packages, and I would
like to see a more general solution which is applicable to all.  It
might be worth revisiting past discussion, for example this thread:

(I've CCd -devel and -policy because it's a general issue which should
ideally be in policy)

The above discussion proposed a solution like default-mta.  At the time,
I also wrote a sample "virtual-default" package which generated these
-defaults packages for all virtual packages in the archive.  At the time
I held off actually implementing this because Anthony Towns said he was
implementing a better method in dpkg itself.  However, I've not seen any
more about this other than that single time, and if mta-defaults is being
created it looks like we are still looking for a solution.

It would be great if we can have a general method for specifying
distribution-wide virtual package defaults, of which
mail-transport-agent-default is just one.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh