Re: freeze exception request: xserver-xorg-video-geode

* Martin-Éric Racine [Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:02:06 +0300]:

> On 8/16/08, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> > * Martin-Éric Racine [Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:21:11 +0300]:

> >  > Actually, now is precisely the right time to do this. It had been
> >  > requested for a long time, but I had postponed doing this until Lenny
> >  > would be close to release, so as to avoid breaking backportability.
> >  > Now that Lenny is about to become the stable release, it's no longer
> >  > an issue.

> > Sure, you are free to ignore the freeze guidelines if that's your wish,
> >  but I'm afraid I'm not unblocking this, see below.

> The guidelines were followed. This change is not intrusive.

Dude, the guidelines say "changes for release goals, if they're not
invasive", not "not invasive changes, for $whatever they are".

> >  > Anyhow, it reproduces what the standard XSF scripts do and, yes, very
> >  > much needs to be included to enable bin-NMU and automated X server
> >  > version bumps.

> > We're not doing more X server version bumps in this release cycle, so
> >  the fix above is irrelevant for Lenny and can be done the day after
> >  Lenny is released without any inconvenience.

> It's also relevant for bin-NMU, which can be necessary whenever there
> is a security release for X core. That is precisely why this was
> requested.

Can you please enlighten us as for what scenario would require a binNMU
of xserver-xorg-video-geode in Lenny *that would benefit from this
change*? (Hint: xserver-xorg won't be changed in Lenny in an
incompatible way, so when I say it is not necessary, I'm not pulling it
off because I don't want to approve your change, I'm saying that it is
in fact *not* *needed*. Otherwise I'd approve.)

I'm pretty much done with this discussion; 2.10.1 continues to be ok for
lenny if you drop that change.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and
day to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle
any human being can fight and never stop fighting.
                -- e.e. cummings