Re: Freeze exception for dpkg 1.14.18

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:57:49PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > And most of the bugs have been filed within days, and
> > fixed already. It's possible that some packages were broken in more
> > subtle ways not resulting in a build failure, but we still have 5 months
> > to find them.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have 18 months to find them? This change could
> have been delayed 5 months with no downside that I can see. Instead
> we're left wondering how many packages might accidentially pass broken
> CFLAGS into subdirectories, build successfully, and yet change behavior
> in unknown ways. These bugs can be exposed at any time up till the hard
> freeze as a given package is uploaded and gets recompiled for the first
> time since the change.

Also note that despite the archive rebuild that was done, I don't think
there was a full archive rebuild on all architectures. We could also
have surprises with packages setting necessary flags for some
architectures (we have such rules on mozilla stuff, for example, but
fortunately, they aren't hit by dpkg-buildpackage trying to be smart),
and we won't find out until all packages get built on all architectures,
which is not even remotely likely to happen before the release.

> Effectively, we've chosen "it builds -- ship it!"

Not even so, it's "it's built -- ship it!" (how many packages have not
been rebuilt since sarge, again?)

Mike