Re: [alpha, hppa] GCC-4.3 as the default compilers for lenny?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:46:15PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >   THe _BEST_ example of that are buildd's that for now run etch (even
> > some sarge not so long time ago) and have a sid chroot to build. Not
> > keeping the CLD patch means that we break our own buildd infrastructure.
> > Yay.

> No, this is not an argument.  If a buildd is used to build packages for
> more than one release then it needs to be updated once lenny is
> released.  You just need to upgrade earlier. Don't get kernels on the
> buildds get security related updates anyway?

You had said you would revert the patch as soon as a fixed kernel was "in
lenny".  Having a fixed kernel "in lenny" does not mean that lenny is
released, and the buildds will not be upgraded immediately after lenny's
release -- there are a lot of buildds, this is something that takes time to
manage.

And even if the buildds get upgraded, shipping the upstream gcc-4.3 as the
default compiler for lenny means lenny would be unsuitable as a development
platform for code that needs to run on any systems with kernels older than
our own.  That's not a good thing.

It's still my opinion that if this gcc-4.3 is not going to be
backwards-compatible with existing kernels for lenny, we're better off not
making gcc-4.3 the default compiler on the affected archs.