Re: [alpha, hppa] GCC-4.3 as the default compilers for lenny?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:23:10PM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Pierre Habouzit:
>
> >> Isn't it risky for partial upgrades from etch ? Shouldn't we wait for
> >> lenny+1 to revert this ?
> >
> >   I second that, please don't revert the patch until lenny+1. FWIW I
> > believe the release team as a whole wanted the patch to be kept as well,
> > but I'll let the other members correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> What about fixing the etch kernel?

  Sigh, could we avoid the same discussion over and over, people are not
supposed (we never asked it in the past, and I see no valid reason to do
so) to update to the last stable point release before upgrading to
stable+1. Moreover we support the fact that people use custom kernels,
or even vanilla ones, that don't have the fix.

  FWIW both the kernel and gcc need to have the fix:
  - the kernel because it's easy to backport (the patch is almost a one
    liner IIRC) and that it's an important fix;
  - gcc because we don't expect people to have a fixed kernel for their
    lennies.

  THe _BEST_ example of that are buildd's that for now run etch (even
some sarge not so long time ago) and have a sid chroot to build. Not
keeping the CLD patch means that we break our own buildd infrastructure.
Yay.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit