Re: [alpha, hppa] GCC-4.3 as the default compilers for lenny?

Matthias Klose writes:
> For all ports besides alpha and hppa we plan to make GCC-4.3 the
> default compilers for lenny.

amd64 and i386 side note: the gcc-4.3 4.3.0-2 upload has a patch
reenabling the cld instruction when stringops are used; this patch is
neither in the gcc-4_3-branch or in the trunk.  I will revert this
patch once a fixed kernel is found in testing and there's no patch
applied in the upstream sources to avoid shipping a GCC which differs
in code generation from upstream.  There's currenty no known secnario
which will break an upgrade with new behaviour of the compiler. If
user's should be warned about the possible risk running an unfixed
kernel, then the warning can be issued by any package updated in a
release update (e.g. libc6).  buildds have to be upgraded sooner or
later anyway if these are supposed to build stuff for a lenny+1
release.

  Matthias