Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 07:41:10PM +0100, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
> > Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >> I believe it soon would be ok to switch unstable to use dependency
> >> based boot sequencing by default.
> > I have to say that I disagree with that. I have tried insserv on my
> > laptop last month and was not all that happy with the way it worked.

> Please note that this decision hasn't been made by the release team
> yet. It's a possibility that we may switch to something dependency based
> before releasing lenny, but that needs further (and broader) testing. At
> the moment, we simply don't have enough experience with dep-based init
> in Debian to change something as important as the default of the init
> system.

Please consider the implications for partial upgrades for such a switch to
dep-based init by default in lenny.  Having half your services fail to come
up after a power event in the middle of a dist-upgrade, despite being in
state 'installed', would be Not Nice.