Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

Here is a small update on this release goal.  More than 77% of the
packages in Debian now got dependency information in their init.d
scripts.  This morning, a BTS report is available for all scripts
missing the LSB header.  Next step is NMUs to fix the packages.  I
assume we will find some bugs in the headers during testing, and these
bugs need to be addressed too.  Bugs in the header currently get
severity important, while missing headers get severity normal (because
the insserv default or override files will produce the correct result
even if the scripts are missing headers).

The bugs are usertagged initscripts-ng-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org .

Status for the feature is still available from

I believe it soon would be ok to switch unstable to use dependency
based boot sequencing by default.

I assume we want to update policy to reflect this new way of handling
init.d scripts.  This process is not yet started.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen