Re: Should su-to-root be shipped in a separate package?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:27:12PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> >  > Please also remember that xdg-utils is Priority: optional while debianutils
> >  > is Essential: yes, Priority: required; meaning that if packages were to
> >  > use 'xdg-su-wrapper' they would have to Depend on xdg-utils pulling yet an
> >  > other package.
> >

> > This is a very weak argument: packages that implement XDG menus should
> >  really depend on xdg-utils (but of course not packages simply providing
> >  .desktop files).
>
> The proposal also includes .desktop files so I don't really see the
> point of your statement, specially because I find pointless to depend
> on xdg-utils just because you ship a given file (which I'm 100% sure
> the package can perfectly live and work without it).

I do not understand your sentence.

I was claiming that window managers/Desktop environment implementing XDG
menu should depend on xdg-utils. This way, packages only providing
.desktop files can assume that xdg-utils will be installed when needed
without a dependency.

> >  > But other than that what do you think about moving su-to-root to
> >  > debianutils?
> >

> > Given what is su-to-root, I do not think it make sense to have it be
> >  Essential: yes. It is almost never used.
>
> Probably because not very much people know about it and because there
> has been no concensus on what to use as a su wrapper.

There is certainly a consensus to use it for (Debian) menu entry and it
is seldom used.

Cheers,
Bill.