Re: Should su-to-root be shipped in a separate package?

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:58:49AM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> Which as far as I'm aware of it doesn't exist.

It used to. Actually su-to-root desktop guessing code was lifted from
the script in xdg-menu. I do not know why it was removed, thought it
was not very good.

> IMHO we can not just 'give up' because there's no common way to do it; if in
> the feature xdg-utils ships such kind of wrapper su-to-root could simply
> check for it and use it instead.

The Exec field of .desktop file is specified byt the XDG menu draft, and
should follow the XDG draft, and not distribution-specific
indiosyncrasy. Discuss the issue on the XDG list.

> Please also remember that xdg-utils is Priority: optional while debianutils
> is Essential: yes, Priority: required; meaning that if packages were to
> use 'xdg-su-wrapper' they would have to Depend on xdg-utils pulling yet an
> other package.

This is a very weak argument: packages that implement XDG menus should
really depend on xdg-utils (but of course not packages simply providing
.desktop files).

> But other than that what do you think about moving su-to-root to
> debianutils?

Given what is su-to-root, I do not think it make sense to have it be
Essential: yes. It is almost never used.

I do not like the idea of moving su-to-root outside of menu source
because there are people using menu outside Debian and they would
be inconvenienced if the tarball does not contain su-to-root anymore.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.