Re: Should su-to-root be shipped in a separate package?

Bill Allombert wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 02:59:11PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> Hello Bill,
>>
>> Some weeks ago I proposed a new release goal which goal is to use
>> su-to-root instead of a custom *su wrapper in menu and .desktop files[1].
>>
>> As Armin Berres stated on his message[2] there are some
>> dependencies/recommends/suggests that need to be considered first.
>> Since su-to-root is currently just a shell script I would your opinion on
>> whether su-to-root (and its translations and documentation of course)
>> should be shipped in a separate package so making the move to su-to-root
>> only requires a Depends: su-to-root which would be shipped as arch: all,
>> instead of a dependency on menu which is arch any.
>
> I do not think it is a good idea to use su-to-root inside .desktop file,
> because this would make such .desktop file Debian-specific (and thus
> would not be integrated upstream). Instead a freedesktop approved
> remplacement to su-to-root should be provided by xdg-utils.

Which as far as I'm aware of it doesn't exist.
IMHO we can not just 'give up' because there's no common way to do it; if in
the feature xdg-utils ships such kind of wrapper su-to-root could simply
check for it and use it instead.
Please also remember that xdg-utils is Priority: optional while debianutils
is Essential: yes, Priority: required; meaning that if packages were to
use 'xdg-su-wrapper' they would have to Depend on xdg-utils pulling yet an
other package.

But other than that what do you think about moving su-to-root to
debianutils?

>> This would have the benefit of making su-to-root OR depend, instead of
>> just suggest, on the several packages which provide a su* wrapper
>> ensuring its functionality.
>
> Given that su-to-root can use plain su which is Essential: yes, I do not
> see the advantage of such OR depend which will always be satisfied.

If su-to-root is moved to debianutils I don't think that Depends is suitable
either.

> Cheers,

Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.