Re: Should su-to-root be shipped in a separate package?

Hello Bill,

First of all sorry for the late response, I've been very busy with RL lately.

On 03/03/2008, Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:58:49AM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>
>  > IMHO we can not just 'give up' because there's no common way to do it; if in
>  > the feature xdg-utils ships such kind of wrapper su-to-root could simply
>  > check for it and use it instead.
>

> The Exec field of .desktop file is specified byt the XDG menu draft, and
>  should follow the XDG draft, and not distribution-specific
>  indiosyncrasy. Discuss the issue on the XDG list.

"Exec   Program to execute, possibly with arguments."[1]
I don't see any problem nor contradiction nor any similar
problem/issue raised by simply using su-to-root instead of <insert a
custom su wrapper prefix here>su.

IMHO it is worst to force people to install a custom su wrapper just
because of the .desktop file calls it.

>  > Please also remember that xdg-utils is Priority: optional while debianutils
>  > is Essential: yes, Priority: required; meaning that if packages were to
>  > use 'xdg-su-wrapper' they would have to Depend on xdg-utils pulling yet an
>  > other package.
>

> This is a very weak argument: packages that implement XDG menus should
>  really depend on xdg-utils (but of course not packages simply providing
>  .desktop files).

The proposal also includes .desktop files so I don't really see the
point of your statement, specially because I find pointless to depend
on xdg-utils just because you ship a given file (which I'm 100% sure
the package can perfectly live and work without it).

>  > But other than that what do you think about moving su-to-root to
>  > debianutils?
>

> Given what is su-to-root, I do not think it make sense to have it be
>  Essential: yes. It is almost never used.

Probably because not very much people know about it and because there
has been no concensus on what to use as a su wrapper.

>  I do not like the idea of moving su-to-root outside of menu source
>  because there are people using menu outside Debian and they would
>  be inconvenienced if the tarball does not contain su-to-root anymore.

If that's the problem why don't you just keep shipping it in the
tarball besides including it in debianutils?

>  Cheers,
>
> --
>  Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>
>
>  Imagine a large red swirl here.

[1]http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.1.html

Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.

Say NO to Microsoft Office broken standard.
See http://www.noooxml.org/petition