Re: apt transition - please bump urgency of libept

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 01:02:09AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 12:51:35AM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:

> > Unfortunately is not going to happen as soon as we wanted due to a new
> > aptitude upload...

> This kind of scenario made me think... would it make sense to publish in
> a fixed location a machine-readable scenario of current ongoing
> transitions, then have dput fetch it and print a warning in case one is
> going to upload a package that would step in someone's feet?

http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_output.txt.gz is already
published; it's possible to parse this to get a list of both packages that
are currently hinted, and packages that are currently accepted only as part
of an ongoing hint run.

I don't think I agree that dput should attempt to pull this information
prior to any upload.  How is dput to know the difference between an upload
to an "official" repo, and a local repo?  I think maintainers need to be
cognizant of their packages' involvement in transitions, but I'm not sure
that's the right way to accomplish it.

Ideally, maintainers would be aware of whether their packages aren't
up-to-date in testing (something they should be interested in for their own
sakes), and be aware of when this indicates a library transition.  This is
harder now that binNMUs are widely used, but certainly in the case of
aptitude this was a sourceful upload on the part of the maintainer and just
a look at his qa page would have shown it wasn't up-to-date in testing.  But
evidently this isn't how (some) maintainers work today.