Re: Proposed release goal : icon caches

Loïc Minier wrote:
>  So I understand that we will need a second NMU round after doing this
>  change?
>
>  I proposed a slightly different approach at:
>     <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=10;bug=407837>
>  with basically one more level of indirection (directories for icon
>  caches are not directly updated by the maintainer scripts; instead a
>  wrapper updates them if necessary / possible)
>
>  I requested feedback from Joey Hess directly, and mentionned the idea
>  to Josselin, but didn't receive any comment on the benefits of this
>  level of indirection.  The advantages are numerous IMO:

Please bear in mind that I'm involved in this discussion only as the
maintainer of debhelper. Whatever solution Debian decides on and
implements is the one debhelper will use. I have no particular expertise
with gtk, icons, or icon caches, and am the wrong person to vet your
designs (except for the parts of them that touch debhelper, which for a
good design in Debian, should be a very narrow part).

The only other thing I've brought to this is an awareness that I think
others share that this issue needs to be resolved *soon* -- the longer
Debian goes without something handling updating the icon caches, the
more users will break their system by installing some third-party deb or
other thing that creates icon caches.

So based on that, it's probably not suprising that as soon as Joss sent
me a patch that is a) working and b) has a transition plan that dosesn't
involve (much of) a flag day, I accepted it. If a better thing gets
implemented, I'll want to change debhelper to use it.

--
see shy jo