Re: Proposed release goal : icon caches

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>      6. Update dh_icons to change its behaviour for packages shipping
>         index.theme files: such packages will always generate the icon
>         cache and have a dependency on libgtk2.0-bin.

 So I understand that we will need a second NMU round after doing this
 change?

 I proposed a slightly different approach at:
    <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=10;bug=407837>
 with basically one more level of indirection (directories for icon
 caches are not directly updated by the maintainer scripts; instead a
 wrapper updates them if necessary / possible)

 I requested feedback from Joey Hess directly, and mentionned the idea
 to Josselin, but didn't receive any comment on the benefits of this
 level of indirection.  The advantages are numerous IMO:
 - enabling / disabling of icon caches can be controlled centrally; no
   need to bin NMU packages to update their maintainer scripts [1]
 - we don't need a dependency on libgtk2.0-bin; all icon caches can be
   generated when libgtk2.0-bin is installed
 - smooth transition to triggers where we would only update the cache
   once for all packages
 - it's possible to blacklist / whitelist directories centrally
 - easy update of all the icon caches of the system

 The libgtk2.0-bin dep is a serious issue for other desktop
 environments.

[1] quite useful for backports or cross-distro mixes
--
Loïc Minier