Re: Proposed release goal: Switch to dash as /bin/sh to speed up the boot

Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> writes:

> Petter Reinholdtsen dixit:
>
>>> Please consider keeping current policy and implementing the
>>> alternatives system like the window manager stuff in the Debconf
>>> tutorial.
>>
>>I believe the reason /bin/sh replacment isn't done using alternatives
>>it to reduce the possibility of leaving the system completely wracked
>>if something goes wrong with the alternatives.  At least that was the
>>argument I heard when it was proposed last time.
>
> Hm, I hope I make myself clearer now: I wasn't talking about the
> /etc/alternatives system here but about the one from the Debconf
> tutorial, handling /bin/sh as it's done right now (i.e. with a
> dpkg diversion). Sorry for the vagueness in terms.

I personally share your view and pere ones too.

I agree that would be good make user's life easier to use a different
/bin/sh and I like the idea (your view). It could be done using a
shared template on debconf and shouldn't be hard to be implemented
also because are few packages involved (except the possible bugs on
init script, of course) however I agree that this thread isn't the
proper one to discuss it since it's focused on speed up the boot and I
suggest you to produce a set of patches to implment it and proposed it
to debian-devel and then as release goal (on another thread).

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116