Re: Proposed release goal: Switch to dash as /bin/sh to speed up the boot

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:12:30AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> To switch, the dash package need to be installed, and the debconf
> preseeding value to enable it need to be set:
>
>   dash dash/sh boolean false
>
> Those wishing to switch back to bash can do so by running
> dpkg-reconfigure dash.
>
> Please consider making such switch a release goal or release target
> for Lenny.

Hi, I support this.  On top of it I would like to drop the debconf
question from the dash package, and install a /bin/sh symlink
unconditionally.  If bash should optionally be installed as /bin/sh, a
similar config mechanism could be added to the bash package, and/or a
better solution found than a diversion of /bin/sh.  Cc: mksh maintainer

Regards, Gerrit.