Re: Proposed release goal: Switch to dash as /bin/sh to speed up the boot

Gerrit Pape dixit:

>Hi, I support this.  On top of it I would like to drop the debconf
>question from the dash package, and install a /bin/sh symlink
>unconditionally.  If bash should optionally be installed as /bin/sh, a
>similar config mechanism could be added to the bash package, and/or a
>better solution found than a diversion of /bin/sh.  Cc: mksh maintainer

If we have more than one alternative package (bash _and_ mksh - and maybe
pdksh, AT&T ksh, zsh? No idea if they're /bin/sh compatible enough), we
need the configuration mechanism in all shells that can be used as /bin/sh
so that we have a choose-one-out-of-many kind of question. At least this
is what I understand from the debconf tutorial:

| http://www.fifi.org/doc/debconf-doc/tutorial.html

There is a shared/window-manager example which is what I propose for
dash, bash and mksh to share (shared/bin-sh?).

Comments?
//mirabile

PS: Please keep me Cc'd since I'm not on the list.
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt