Please unblock hal_0.5.8.1-7

Hi release team,

I had a discusssion with Sjoerd Simons, the maintainer of hal, on
#pkg-utopia and we decided that we really want to see etch released with
hal_0.5.8.1-7.
The main reason is, that in 0.5.8.1-1 we introduced
debian-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi, which was an ugly hack, to hide
local partitions, so they can't be mounted by unprivileged users.
Unfortunately this also caused major confusions amongst users, because
it made the partitions invisible from within gnome/nautilus, resulting
in bug reports like #394155, #395169, #409879 against hal (and surely
more against gnome-vfs or nautilus).

In -7 we introduced a much cleaner solution for this.

Sjoerd also added a patch which fixes the rather important bugs #402835
and #414787, where hal got stuck when removable media were unplugged
without unmounting them first (which I fear might happen quite a lot
amongst users).

The complete changelog is:

hal (0.5.8.1-7) unstable; urgency=low

  [ Sjoerd Simons ]
  * Acknowledge Steve Langasek's NMU. (Closes: #370186)
  * debian/patches/29_handle_non_hal_mounts.patch
    - Added. Handle volume removal for mounted volumed that weren't
mounted by
      hal correctly.
  * debian/patches/30_cdrom_bogus_tocinfo.patch
    - Added. Some cdrom drives/discs report a wrong start of the session
in the
      TOC, causing hal to not detect the filesystem. Work around this by
      rescanning at offset 0 for discs when filesystem detection fails.

  [ Michael Biebl ]
  * Add XS-Vcs-* fields to debian/control.
  * Drop debian-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi in favor of
    debian/patches/55_nonpolkit-mount-policy.patch.
    This fixes the problem that local devices are not shown in nautilus.
    (Closes: #394155, #395169, #409879)
  * debian/patches/02_powerscripts.patch
    - Add support for pm-utils and prefer it over other solutions. This
is in
      anticipation of hal-0.5.9, where pm-utils will be the preferred
backend.
  * Install HAL specification document. (Closes: #413813)
    - debian/control: Build-Depend on docbook-utils and libxml2-utils.
    - debian/rules: Pass --enable-docbook-docs to ./configure.
  * debian/watch
    - Fix regexp to not match non-hal releases, like hal-info.

 -- Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@debian.org>  Wed,  7 Mar 2007 23:50:11 +0100

There are two issues currently with -7:
1.) It's missing a build-dependency on docbook-xml so it fails on
non-networked buildds. This is already fixed in the pkg-utopia svn for
-8 and I could upload -8 with this fix alone if the release team agrees
on that.
2.) #414417, a problem with luks-enabled, local devices. This is the
only bug report since -7 was uploaded. We haven't investigated yet, if
this is a consequence of the changes in -7, but I will do so immediately
so we potentially could fix that for -8, too.

Would the release team consider to unblock -7 (or -8 with the
docbook-xml fix for that matter)?

Michael

P.S: please CC me on replies.

universe are pointed away from Earth?