Re: Please unblock ekiga/2.0.3-4 and remove gnomemeeting from testing afterwards

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:15:12PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > This is regrettable, but not RC (and I've downgraded it).
>
> >  I'm a bit disturbed about the non-RCness here; that's a major regression
> >  for users relying on IPv6 (and I can certainly imagine the uses of IPv6
> >  for peer-to-peer communication behind firewalls), plus ("pervasive")
> >  IPv6 support is a release goal.  I do not see any mention of IPv6 in
> >  etch_rc_policy.txt, and the 20060717 release update clearly states that
> >  release goals are not release blockers, yet I find it disturbing.
> >  Grmpf.
>
> Documenting something as a release goal means that the release team commits
> to giving as much support as possible to folks who want to work on that
> goal.  Delaying the release for release goals that don't have anyone working
> on them is something else entirely.  Bug #375056 is 256 days old -- there
> was ample time for someone to work on it if IPv6 support in ekiga was
> important to them, well before gnomemeeting was removed.  (And there still
> is time, if someone is still interested in working on it.)

Why was not ekiga uploaded from day 1 as a replacement to
gnomemeeting? Maybe its maintainers considered it brought too many
regressions with respect to gnomemeeting...

I understand gnomemeeting has been removed for (understandable)
security management reasons but not as a request from its maintainers
for it was obsoleted by ekiga.

Best regards,
Frédéric Lehobey
(_User_ of gnomemeeting over IPv6 without the skills to fix ekiga with
respect to this. But are users of any importance?).