Re: Please unblock ekiga/2.0.3-4 and remove gnomemeeting from testing afterwards

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Shipping a broken binary package on powerpc is RC anyway, and should have
> been marked as such independently of the removal of gnomemeeting.

 Indeed, and with gnomemeeting we had a working alternative available
 for PPC users; my concern is mostly that PPC users of gnomemeeting in
 sarge will find the same features in etch, perhaps under a new name. [1]

 (But I've noted that somebody confirmed PPC support to be working in
  Ekiga with a different configuration; perhaps different codecs.)

> >  - no IPv6 support
> This is regrettable, but not RC (and I've downgraded it).

 I'm a bit disturbed about the non-RCness here; that's a major regression
 for users relying on IPv6 (and I can certainly imagine the uses of IPv6
 for peer-to-peer communication behind firewalls), plus ("pervasive")
 IPv6 support is a release goal.  I do not see any mention of IPv6 in
 etch_rc_policy.txt, and the 20060717 release update clearly states that
 release goals are not release blockers, yet I find it disturbing.
 Grmpf.

> >  Are the Security and Release team still preferring the removal of
> >  gnomemeeting from etch?
> Yes, unless you're saying we should ship gnomemeeting *instead* of the
> RC-buggy ekiga we now have.

 I don't think this is reasonable either.

 You've confirmed you do not to want the old gnomemeeting source, and I
 see you already hinted the ekiga upload adding the transition package,
 so I suppose the discussion and the fate of the IPv6 support are
 probably sealed.

[1] Yes, I'm still packaging GNOME!
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>