Re: BIND 8 deprecation for the release notes

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:30:39PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >> Sure, but python2.5 is not really usable: almost all the python modules a=
> > re
> >> compiled only for python2.4. For postgresql you are right and I'm wrong,
> >> but I suppose that there are other examples in the archive where the only=
> >> major release is released.
> >>=20
> >> Anyway, my question still applies. :)
> >>=20
> > That got me wondering and it appears that Etch will ship with Apache
> > 1.3.34? Why?  It is considered a legacy release by ASF?  Is the Debian
> > security team really willing to support it for another 2-3 years?

If you have a large webserver farm / custom modules for Apache / your
third party application has hooks into Apache 1.3, you may still want
it.  Apache 2 will be what many will install: it may be useful to retain
the choice.

> The same goes for bind8, only that I didn't receive a
> sustantial reply at all...

Again: if your infrastructure / expertise is in BIND 8 and you can't
afford to move? For some small group of users that may be reason enough.

Andy