With zope2.8 removed, the last package depending on python2.3 is gone,
so we are technically able to drop the support for python2.3. As
currently some packages have reverse dependencies on python2.3,
removing python2.3 without any other action, would open new RC reports
which doesn't seem to be appropriate at this point. The following
issues should be fixed before:
1) removing packages only needed for python2.3:
python-fixedpoint (replaced by decimal)
decompyle (2.3 only)
2) fixing packages having hardcoded dependencies on 2.3:
i.e. optcomplete, will need a rebuild, of the archive / part
of the archive to identify those packages.
3) removing the rdepends from packages (likely to be packages using
the versioned interpreter name)
python2.3-lasso (not yet converted?)
python2.3-dictdlib (not yet converted?)
- some package have to be updated to drop 2.3 support; I put updated
deb http://people.debian.org/~doko/python ./
If more packages are needed for testing the removal of python2.3,
I'll add these to this archive.
- rebuild extension packages to drop 2.3 extensions.
2 and 3 can be done now and would be a prerequisite for the python2.3