Re: removing python2.3

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Matthias Klose wrote:
> With zope2.8 removed, the last package depending on python2.3 is gone,
> so we are technically able to drop the support for python2.3.  As
> currently some packages have reverse dependencies on python2.3,
> removing python2.3 without any other action, would open new RC reports
> which doesn't seem to be appropriate at this point.  The following
> issues should be fixed before:

Breaking packages is not the right course of action. However filing bugs
at RC level is probably required if we want to have a quick reaction from
the maintainers.

>  1) removing packages only needed for python2.3:
>
>      python-fixedpoint (replaced by decimal)
>      python-cjkcodecs
>      python-iconvcodecs (maybe)
>      decompyle (2.3 only)

Contact the maintainer and file removal request on ftp.debian.org ?

>  3) removing the rdepends from packages (likely to be packages using
>    the versioned interpreter name)

Someone should go through the list and upgrade any python-policy bug or
file a new serious bug asking to update for python2.4.

>  - rebuild extension packages to drop 2.3 extensions.

This is not absolutely required. It clutters some packages a bit but
doesn't break anything. Providing python2.5 support would have been nicer
than only removing python2.3 support...

Anyone tried to build all python extensions with python2.5 ?

Raphaël Hertzog