Re: [PROPOSAL] Final consensual proposal for the problematic firmware issue in the linux kernel sources.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 02:03:59 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

> On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 04:05:57PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Can you spell out for us which kernel modules, in the opinion of
>> the kernel team, are certainly sourceless GPL stuff? Please make
>> sure you have the official opinion of the kernel team, and that you
>> are saying that these modules do contain sourceless GPL'd material.

> The complete list at :

> http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing?action=show#head-93ba883132bc3ebc09131100ec6bb6fbfb5e3e61

> Include code which Larry stated where unlikely to be the actual form
> of modification. I think he even said something along the lines of
> "no sane coder would write such directly in hex".

> There are some which are big enough that it would not be practical
> to write them directly in hex, so there is little doubt about the
> outcome.

        Folks, if this is indeed the official opinion of the kernel
 team (since that is what was solicited, then regardless of any GR, we
 need to remove every thing mentioned by Sven from the kernel
 immediately, since we are not allowed to distribute them.

        Given this official statement, I also suggest that the GR
 proposal is moot, since the proposer himself believes that the kernel
 modules in question can not be distributed by Debian legally.

        I appreciate there not being any more GR's on this subject :),
 since now we have to remove these modules, as per  the official
 kernel team position.

        manoj
 not entirely facetious
--
No extensible language will be universal. Cheatham