Re: Would an ABI change of apt for DDTP support still be accepted?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 01:17:18PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 11:54 +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> I value the importance of the DDTP project, but the translating effort
> has only recently seriously started. Looking at the statistics[1], I see

The first DDTP translation effort started years ago (over 4, actually) and it
was quite serious at the time for some languages. It was stalled due to
gluck's compromise and recently restarted.

> that the best language has yet only one third of descriptions translated
> in optional and extra, and steeply dropping to only a couple of
> percentpoints for those after that.

This is very much related to the fact that the language teams see no gain for
translating the DDTP right now since end-users would not be able to see them,
as there is no support in apt or its frontends. A change in apt to make those
visible when users run 'apt-cache search|show' even if apt frontends
(aptitude, synaptic) do not use them yet would certainly make translation
teams shift their efforts over to the DDTP.

Just my 2c.

Javier