Re: Would an ABI change of apt for DDTP support still be accepted?

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 11:54 +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Consider how many people whould profit from it!

I'm missing the following practical note a bit in this discussion: are
there actually a significant number of translations to take the
non-trivial venture of a very late apt update?

I value the importance of the DDTP project, but the translating effort
has only recently seriously started. Looking at the statistics[1], I see
that the best language has yet only one third of descriptions translated
in optional and extra, and steeply dropping to only a couple of
percentpoints for those after that.

Best translated are required/important/standard, but those descriptions
will be the least relevant to Joe Average, since these packages are
already installed for him.

Concluding, we will not be able to claim that Debian has "translated
package descriptions", except for a very small number of languages. I
think it's not worth the effort to risk delay or trouble for this; let's
focus on other areas in etch now and make sure etch+1 has a really
comprehensive set of translated descriptions.

Thijs