Re: Would an ABI change of apt for DDTP support still be accepted?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:54:13AM +0200, Michael Vogt wrote:

> That's why I considered it so late for uploading to unstable. I didn't
> wanted to upload it without real-world testing because of the risk of
> having to break the ABI yet again to fix mistakes in the code.
>
> We may have to recompile the rdepends of libapt anyway because of
> (recent g++ upload 4.1.1ds1-14 has a g++ regression)

Debian was always proud because of many software packages. Nevertheless
it's a real drawback that package descriptions are only available in
English. Many person with no English skills do not know the packages
Debian provides and ignored these because of this.

Once I installed a system with translated package descriptions for a
friend I remember first time users of Debian browsing description just
for fun, testing these packages, comparing with other systems, ...
Without they never touched aptitude and complained about the usability.

Consider how many people whould profit from it! Ten thousands, hundred
thousands of users?! Please compare this with possible disadvantages and
choose the proper solution!

Once it enters testing I would also ask additional users from various
lists (not only developers) to properly use and test it and would be
willing to help these users to report possible problems. I'm sure many
other people (translators and other) would do the same once you consider
the changes for Etch.

I now subscribed also to the APT bugs and will try my best ...

Jens