Re: Etch timeline and mozilla products
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:57:30PM +0200, Andreas Barth <email@example.com> wrote:
> * Mike Hommey (firstname.lastname@example.org) [060925 20:55]:
> > I'm hereby requesting an exception for both of these (plus xulrunner).
> > The main reason for this request is that upstream will stop security
> > support for the 1.8.0 branch (which the current versions of the packages
> > are based on) as soon as the 1.9 branch will be released, which is
> > planned for roughly 6 months after the 1.8.1 branch (Which is the base
> > for Seamonkey 1.1 and Firefox 2) is released.
> it is a bit difficult to give you basically a card blanche now without
> knowing what regressions might exist. On the other hand, I can definitly
> understand your request, and if there are only few packages that want an
> exception, it might be possible.
> However, I want to warn you a bit: If you want to have an late freeze
> exception, be prepared that you might need to fix any upcoming issues
> quite fast.
> The freeze is not done for its own sake, but to reduce the possibility
> of issues, and to give us more time to fix the remaining issues. If we
> shorten the time for some packages, we will have higher workload for
> these packages.
> So, summary from my side: I think it is possible, but we can only do the
> decision if we know what the new packages look like (what we can know of
> course only quite late). And, please let me add a disclaimer: The above
> is "just" my personal opinion, of course other people might want to
> cluebat me now.
Seamonkey 1.1 is not yet in the archive, but is being worked on at the
moment and should be uploaded some day soon (well, a 1.1a package). But
Seamonkey 1.0 not being in the archive makes it easy for us to just
decide to not include Seamonkey at all.
As for Firefox, the 2.0b2 package is already in experimental and
probably used by quite some people.