Re: Packages listing /usr/lib/libgnomeprint*.la

        Hi there,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> The libgnome*-dev packages dropped their .la files:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/libg/libgnomeprint/current/changelog#versionversion2.12.1-5
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/libg/libgnomeprintui/current/changelog#versionversion2.12.1-3

 Just a word on the rationale: packages referencing a .la from another
 package should IMO depend on it, so before removing any *.la, I checked
 all rdepends of the packages I was removing from and checked all *.la
 files in these rdeps for references to the to be removed *.la files.
 It's perhaps a bit hard for packages which were missing *.la files
 depends, but at least we got rid of some *.la files now.

> but a few .la files still reference the dropped .la files in their .la
> files. For my system I found:
> libgoffice-0-dev: /usr/lib/libgoffice-0.la

 Apart of libgoffice, which seems to be an old version, I think the *.la
 you mention are shipped by mistake and cause no harm.

> So I would like to request a binNMU of these packages.

 Thanks for checking this!  Perhaps in some cases a bug requesting the
 complete removal of these *.la from the packages would be better, but
 requesting bin NMUs looks like a good first step.

   Bye,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>