Re: remaining linux-2.6 RC bugs ...

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:16:59PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> the fact that the mips/mipsel guys do their own thing in their own way is i
> >> believe etch-RC though, and need to be solved in the next 6 month.
> >
> > That's a decision that needs to be made together with the people who will be
> > doing security support for the kernel in etch.
>
> Debian's 2.6.8 kernel contains (including the upcoming sarge2 kernels) patches
> for 107 distinct security problems with a CVE ID. Given that 2.6.8 was introduced
> in August 2004 and security support for Etch will end in December 2007 this
> might very well be around 200 issues by the time support for Sarge fades out.
> So, the bare numbers should make it pretty obvious why all archs should build out
> of the linux-2.6 package.

The real problem is, i believe, that Thiemo didn't really find the time of
will to move the mips package to the common tree. he did have objections back
last summer, but i believe we have dealt with all of them, or can shortly. I
think it is only a matter of someone stepping in, and porting the mips/mipsel
patches and configs to the linux-2.6 tree, which should not be a very
outlandish amount of work, and i believe someone else than Thiemo could do
this, not enabling it by default until Thiemo gave his approval or something,
and be done with it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther