Re: Developer accessible SPARC machine

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:36:16AM -0800, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Please note that Nicolas Will (CC'ed) has offered some time ago to arrange
> a more powerful machine, should it become neccessary [0]. I hope Linux
> actually runs on it, as I don't recall ever seeing installation reports
> for them :-).
>
> [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2005/12/msg00051.html

It's kind of embarrasing to show what a mess my desk is, but check out
the three sparcs under my desk on the left:

 http://www.campin.net/pics/desk.jpg

I'd give any one of the three to the Debian project. They're all fully
operational, I have various Debian and solaris versions installed on
them, I only fire them up for book research once in a while.

They're all similar in horsepower, all dual ultrasparcII's, the UE2 has
dual 300mhz, the E250 has 400 or 450mhz and the 220R on the bottom has
dual 450mhz processors. All have at least a gig of memory, and the E250
is packed full of disks (all 9 gig disks I think but all fast 10k RPM).

Anyways, I'm in the SF Bay area, and I'd bring them anywhere in the Bay
Area myself for no charge. I owe Debian that much.
--
Nate

The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.
Or just re-use this one.