Re: proposed fix to allow security support for fai-kernels in sarge (#297811)

Hi Holger,

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 12:35:44PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> to fix #297811, which is about adding the kernel abi version number to
> fai-kernels (which is only build on i386 currently, powerpc is pending) to be
> able to do security support for fai-kernels in sarge, I made the following
> changes and I would like to ask on the release managers and security teams
> opinion if these changes are sufficient to provide security support for
> fai-kernels.

> The included debs in the package (yes, this package includes .debs - see below
> for an explaination) now contain the kernel ABI version:

> $ dpkg -L fai-kernels   # output edited to save space
> /usr/lib/fai/kernel/kernel-image-2.4.27-2-fai_1_i386.deb
> /usr/lib/fai/kernel/kernel-image-2.6.8-2-fai_1_i386.deb
> /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/README
> /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/README.non-i386
> /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/README.security-updates
> /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/copyright
> /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/config-2.6.8.gz
> /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/changelog.gz
> /usr/share/doc/fai-kernels/config-2.4.27.gz

To reiterate our discussion on IRC, I don't think this addresses my
concerns, which are that:

- Nothing in the package (binary or source) uniquely identifies the
kernel-source patchlevel used (including the added ABI name, since ABI name
!= patchlevel)

- Nothing in the source or binary package names matches the
kernel.*2\.(4\.27|6\.8) regexp that I've been using so far to identify the
kernel packages requiring attention

I have no knowledge of how important the latter is to the security team;
they may not be bothered by it as long as they're aware that this package
exists which doesn't follow the usual naming convention.  (which I presume
that after this thread, at least one member of the security team *is* aware
of this.)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer