Re: Coordinating upload of teTeX-3.0 to unstable

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:

> That sounds good, thanks.
>
>> b) More severely, tetex-bin is a build-dependency of many packages.
>>    While I think that our packages do not contain major bugs, I would be
>>    surprised if the upgrade did not reveal bugs in packages that use it,
>>    causing some to FTBFS.  We've had such cases a year ago when we
>>    changed internals of tetex-bin and found that certain packages messed
>>    with them during build or installation.
>
> Currently, we have (at least) two large transitions at our hands:
> 1. gcc-4.0/glibc
> 2. xorg
>
> I really would be happy if we can avoid that tetex becomes part of any
> of these transitions. That means for me, in doubt don't upload tetex
> to unstable right now.

How long do you expect the transitions to take, and what would you think
is appropriate to replace doubt by knowlegde?

The number of packages build-depending on tetex (directly or indirectly
via a build-dep on some conversion tool like debiandoc-sgml) is really
big, and we will not be able to check this all by hand.  Writing to
-devel and writing to the maintainers of those packages might help, but
we will probably not even be able to keep track of the responses and be
sure whether all maintainers of important packages have answered.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich