Re: Including Sarge Release Notes on first CDs

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:07:28PM +0200, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> > Now for the real request. It would be nice if the release notes (html, pdf
> > and txt versions) could be included on the first CD, same as the
> > installation manual. There are 11 languages that qualify:
> >    en, es, fr, de, cs, it, nl, pt_BR, ja, zh_CN, zh_TW
>
> As for the manuals, we are currently including some of them, as published in
> the archives by the debian-boot guys at
> dists/sarge/main/intsaller-$(arch)/current/doc/manual

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are based on the manuals provided by the
latest debian-installer-manual package and not on the latest SVN sources.
Am I right? Just curious, since there have been updates and improvements to
the english version of the manual, new translations have been made and
available translations have been reviewed since the debian-installer-manual
was last uploaded (March this year)

As for the Release-Notes, maybe we should ask the ftp.debian.org
maintainers to accept all the contents and put them under
/dists/sarge/main/Release-Notes (through a package with a byhand?), since
that is were the debian-cd seems to be looking for them:

[tools/add-bin-doc]
(....)
# Add the doc files to the CDs and the Release-Notes and the
# Contents-$(ARCH).gz files
bin-doc: ok bin-infos $(MIRROR)/doc $(BDIR)/CD1/doc
(....)
        if [ -e $MIRROR/dists/$CODENAME/main/Release-Notes ]; then
           cp -pf $MIRROR/dists/$CODENAME/main/Release-Notes $dir/
        fi
(....)

I didn't get enough time before the release to work on what documentation
does debian-cd ship but that's certainly something that I'm worried about
and brought up (too late, see #172482) in the last release. Hopefully, we
might improve this in etch so that:

- information is extracted from packages instead of using ftp.debian.org so
that there is no need to use byhand stuff

- translations are included along for all documents if available

- we ship a documentation CD with the final versions of the documents we
have available at the time of release at the DDP like many other
distributions do.

We have useful documentation (and many translations) and only some
documents are provided and, of those provided, some are only provided in
english even if translations are already available. This is the case of
most of ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc/ which is translated on the website
(reference cards, social contract, etc.) but translations are not available
on the official CDs.

Well, this is just something that I believe should be improved upon. It's
in my TODO, just not high enough on the list :-( Maybe somebody else can
help #172482 get fixed sooner.

Regards

Javier