Re: e2fsprogs & sarge

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:44:58PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 07:01:52PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> >
> > Indeed, unfortunately, since then, a new version was uploaded to
> > unstable without the udeb's yet synced :-(.
> >
> > Therefore, a no-changes upload to testing is needed for 1.37-2, best
> > named 1.37-2sarge1. Will you perform this upload (make sure to build
> > against testing!), or shall I do so?
>
> I'm confused.   What is the issue with the udebs?
>
> Couldn't you just grab the needed udebs from snapshots.debian.org?

Reintroducing already removed packages into the pool is a gross hack --
rather than doing so (there needs to be some patches for archive
maintainance code to make this even possible, as this scenario hasn't
been catered for (yet)) and risking breakeage, it's far easier to just
have a t-p-u upload like I asked. The issue here is that e2fsprogs is in
a freeze, and udeb's need to be manually synced. Having them superseded
in unstable by a non-releasecandidate closed this opportunity,
unfortunately.

The last paragraph before the 'Timeline' header of the freeze
announcement[1] mentioned to be wary of changes to unstable and urges to
use experimental wherever possible -- and debian-installer packages such
as e2fsprogs are even more tricky, as this issue shows. It isn't a that
big deal, it just requires either a gross hack or a
testing-proposed-updates upload, and I'm asking whether it's ok for me
to do so, or whether you want to do one.

--Jeroen

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/05/msg00001.html

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar