Re: e2fsprogs & sarge

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 05:04:42AM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to get debian-installer and normal tools & sources in sync for
> sarge, which is a requirement, I'm going to upload 1.35-8 as
> 1.35-8sarge1 into testing. You don't need to do anyting. If this upload
> fails for whatever reason, we're going to reupload 1.35-8 as it was into
> testing.
>
> Sorry for the late warning. If there is any specific reason why the
> version currently used for debian-installer (1.35-8) is a bad thing to
> have in sarge in general, please contact debian-release@lists.debian.org
> asap. Currently 1.35-6 is in Sarge.

In previous discussions with Steve, I thought we were going to push
e2fsprogs 1.37-2 into Sarge, per discussions recorded debian bug
#295422?

If we the decision of the Debian release team is to use 1.35-8
instead, that's fine.  There are a number of bugs that are not fixed
in 1.35-8, including:

  * E2fsck will now recover from a journal containing illegal blocks.
  * Fix a double-free problem in resize2fs.  (Red Hat Bugzilla #132707)
  * Make sure e2fsck doesn't crash if /proc/acpi/ac_adapter does not
        exist
  * Make sure that we don't write garbage when writing a large inode.
  * Add compatibility in e2fsck for filesystems created by Fedora Core 3

The last one means if we don't use a newer version of e2fsprogs,
Debian stable will be incompatible with ext3 filesystems created by
newer distributions, including FC3, RHEL 4 and (probably) the upcoming
SLES 10.

But heck, sarge isn't even going to have the X.org server, so it might
as well live up to its billing of Debian obsolete from the moment it
was released.  :-)

						- Ted